Friday, July 3, 2015

Bak Zhang

I love Bak Zhang... my kids love too... during my childhood, I never and do not need to know how to 'wrap' the bak zhang as always very easy to get it from the market or relatives will have extra for us :)

Been in oz for about 4 years +, always buy pre-packed bak zhang from the Asian Groceries.. No choice as I do not know how to make it.

This year, I told myself have to learn it !! Grabbed the leaves, string, etc. Went through some videos from youtube, whatsapps my Malaysia's sis for some tips...

The most worry me is the way to wrap it. Without a proper skill, it is really hard to master it. My 1st attempt looks like what we msian ppl said like "wrapping a crab"..:) But after the 5th one, getting better and better.

Phew!! turned up not too bad!! Probably is not salty enough (as usual). Really happy on my 1st Bak Zhang Making.

Here the recipe.. need to note down as I will have to do it again to suit everyone taste, you know 1st kid like only rice with lots of salted egg yolk , 2nd one wants ... bla bla bla.. . not a easy job to be a mum. :(

Here comes the recipe: 

Youtube  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf9ZkuJ9oBs

Basically just follow the youtube :)

1 kg of glutinous rice can make about 22-25 of Bak Chang.

I personally add steamed/mashed ground bean as part of the ingredients. Well, you can add whatever you want.

Basic step:
1. Hot boiled water to soak the leaves and clean it.
2. Cooked all the ingredient (pork belly, soaked mushroom, fried the onion, fried the glutinous rice, etc)
3. Wrapped and tight the ingredients with the leaves.
4. 'Sap' for 2-3 hours (only put in when the water started to boil).

DONE!!

My own measurement :
3 cup of rice = 10 dumplings
                                   







No comments:

Post a Comment